8.02.2009

Butterfly Gardens - Victoria

The main reason we decided upon this trip to Victoria, was to take Melissa to the Butterfly Gardens. Melissa has a love for butterflies, and a desire to have one land on her hand. 
The excitement was mounting... we were finally here!
We entered a small slice of paradise... beautiful plants with butterflies flying everywhere around us, large coy in the pond, flamingos, and waterfalls...
The rules were that we weren't allowed to pick up any of the butterflies. We were only allowed to hold them if they landed on us... so Melissa got right to it trying to get one to land on her!


Lucky Daddy had the most butterflies land on him. Probably because he wasn't as desperate and stood still more than Melissa & I. He even had the most beautiful blue butterfly (which was near impossible to get to sit at all) land on him...


Checking out one of the many feeding stations, which consisted of rotting fruit, that attracted many of the butterflies...
Behind glass in the exhibit was a large collection of chrysalis'. Most were already empty, but there were several very new butterflies letting their wings dry out...
The Atlas Moth Caterpillars which were on display... (I wouldn't want to run into these guys in my garden)

Trying a new method of trying to attract butterflies, flowers in the hair!
A silly bird which roamed the garden, he loved nipping feet...



I believe this counted as a landing... she slid her hand under this one!



I found this blue butterfly, which I had a stand-off with. I was really eager to get a picture of him with his wings open. But no matter what I did, he kept them tight together...
The ugliest butterfly/moth I have ever seen. I believe it was called something like a Mammoth. The size was incredible. 

No comments: