11.23.2006

Big Sick Day...

We have had a very interesting last two days. It started by an amazing sleep-in for me, wondering why I hadn't been woken by my trusty alarm clock - Melissa. She ended up sleeping in till 11:00 am (I had checked to see that she was still breathing!). When I went to get her, she was just sooooo tired. She wanted her soothers that had fallen out of her crib, and then wanted to go back to sleep. I held her for a bit, and she just kept dozing off. This is not like her at all, and caused me to be concerned. We ended up calling the nurse hotline, and after I described her symptoms in detail, the nurse told me to hang up and call 911. From there an ambulance was dispatched, and we were brought into emergency. All this time Melissa was still pretty much out of it. She was still so unresponsive, and didn't at all mind the people poking at her etc., and managed to sleep through most of this. This was not my little feisty girl at all!















































Making a very long story short, we were in emerge for hours, Melissa had numerous, less than pleasant, tests done (blood work, chest x-rays, urine tests). We were admitted to Pediatrics and told we had to stay the night for observation. The blood work showed that she was very dehydrated, which I find so puzzling as she had drank her milk the night before... everything seemed more or less normal.

They hooked her up to an IV to help re-hydrate her. In the morning (after a long, uncomfortable, restless, interrupted sleep, which I probably only got 1/2 hour) Melissa was well enough to be sent home.




























The diagnosis is that she had caught a bug of sorts. How things can change in a heartbeat. I am so thankful for our health, as hospitals are no fun at all.

Thanks for all your well-wishes, thoughts and prayers, we could feel them and appreciate it :) This afternoon Melissa has been back to her old tricks, playing with her toys and goofing around. Her appetite is still lacking, but hopefully it will continue to pick up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear she is better!

~ jules

Anonymous said...

What a frightening time! So glad things are looking up!